Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Saint Patrick's Day! Mom's Irish Soda Bread Recipe.

I like to try to teach the boys about their varied heritage and being that I am half Scottish/Irish (grandparents from Ireland mom from Scotland) I wanted to teach the boys how to make Irish Soda Bread. I finally got a copy of my mom's recipe and I willed us to bake after dinner tonight.

The boys are always up for baking even if it's after dinner on a school night!

Mix together:
4 Cups Flour (sifted)
2 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda


We split the recipe as we go so each boy gets to add half the ingredients.


Jacob asked me if it was starting to look "Irishy", LOL.


Add 1/2 cup corn oil and mix with a fork (or pastry blender).


 We use a fork (or two).


Mix in 1 cup raisins (by hand). For those who like caraway seeds this is when you would add one tablespoon of those. I have a strong aversion for them!


This is when Jacob decided that he probably won't eat this bread because it has raisins in it...

 





Slowly stir in 1 cup buttermilk and one egg that have been pre-mixed in a separate bowl.

This is what it looks like when you've finished mixing. Put the dough on a floured surface and knead around ten times or until smooth.


Shape it into a ball.


Flatten it slightly. Place it on a pre-greased heavy pan (we use a heavy cookie sheet).  Then cut an X across the top of the loaf.  Brush with corn oil then bake at 350 for about 45-50 minutes or until brown.


Here is the finished yummy bread! I sprinkle a touch of granulated sugar on the top since they ate not very sweet. We made one for work and one for home.


Joshua was so excited to try it this morning but he did not love it. I think it's something you grow to love! I know I loved it and so did Brett.

Enjoy!



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. LOL - love Jacob's face in that second pic!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Likely Lola