Friday, January 21, 2011

Getting organized...

I am in the midst of getting my house organized. I'm not just talking tidy I mean lets pull out the things from all the overstuffed drawers, corners, or where ever they might be hiding. Since I have spent the last two years getting my masters degree, working full time, and raising my two boys, I have kept my house tidy and pretty clean but entropy has taken over and now I am setting some new rules and regaining order. 

 I have already made huge strides with our piled up paperwork yet one last thing I need to tackle is all of  the adorable piles of crafts or mementos that come home from preschool and kindergarten. So getting to the point, I have had this adorable little book on Jacob's wishlist for about a year now but last night I broke down and ordered two, one for Joshua and one for Jacob. They are not only really cute they help solve the nagging question "What is really important to keep?". 
 
The books have pages for preschool through high school! I want to get started right away since Joshua will be in Pre-K4 at the end of June and Jacob is already more than half way through Kindergarten. 

The following is an awesome review on Amazon that really tells how it is designed:

"This is a great place to collect important memories and keepsakes in a compact way.

One thing that is cool is that it's set up for kids and parents to do together. There are about 3 pages and an envelope within the spiral bound book for each school year.

The first page is a snapshot of the year. There's a place to put the child's photo, and stats including school name, teachers, and a few lines for parents' notes about the year. There's a place at the bottom for "My Signature" which is a fun feature. I know that whenever I see my 11-year-old scrawl inside a book, or my 15-year-old signature on a paper it brings back major memories.

The second page is written from the child's point of view. For the elementary years, it includes a scorecard for 4 different subjects, my friends, best thing about this year, what I'm good at, and when I grow up. The secondary years get a little more "real" adding hobbies and activities, this was a big bummer, and summer plans (instead of what I want to be when I grow up).

The third page is a pocket, with suggestions of unique items to include which will show their their growth: sample artwork, awards, note to my future self, a piece of string as long as I am tall, tracing of my hand, a school nametag, a newspaper headline or story, and of course a report card. The secondary years add a note or email from a good friend and replace nametag with school ID.

The back of the pocket is lined, adding another spot for some journaling. The pocket flaps and closes to keep everything secure." 

The review was written by Jennifer Donovan from 5minutesforbooks.   

Another thing I purchased to keep school pictures in order is this awesome frame from Exposures:

I already have Jacob's Kindergarten picture in there. I plan to switch out the big picture each year.
Time is flying by so I am really excited that I am going to try to capture some of these things in an organized way for the boys to treasure for years to come!
Happy organizing! (The process is tough but the results are so worth it!)
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. That looks so cute! I have photo frames for the 1st 12 months of a baby's life for both of my kids. One is almost 4 and the other is 1 1/2. Both frames still sit empty waiting for pictures :(

    Come check out my blog at Http://aglutenfreemom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from the Friday blog hop. So nice to meet you. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.
    Nancy
    http://discoverdirectselling.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Likely Lola